opennshut are a London shutter company that can measure and fit shutters in your home, this blog provides some advice and tips on typical London sash windows.
We have fitted shutters all over London since 1999. We can cover all areas of London, we can come to your home, show you shutter samples, provide advice on the best design for your windows and then return and install the shutters for you.
Sash windows are popular in London and plantation shutters look great on them. It’s important the shutters are designed to match the window so here are some tips to ensure they are designed correctly:
Here are 5 tips on fitting shutters on Sash windows in London.
- Keep the shutter frame as close to the glass area as possible, don’t fit them too wide otherwise the louvre blades may not line up with the glass.
- Watch out for protruding staff beads… Sash windows can look flat and easy to mount shutter on, but sometimes the staff bead can protrude and stop the shutter frame from being fitted flat to the window.
- Ensure the number of shutters match the panes of glass on the window, i.e if you have 2 glazing bars splitting the window into 3 sections, then 3 shutters will match the design, don’t try and fit 2 shutters across a 3 section window.
- Top opening tier on tier designs look good Sash windows, they are normally tall and narrow, so this type of shutter design goes well. When deciding where to split the shutters, ensure you measure to the top of the meeting rails, not to centre.
- Use a Tpost design or fit shutter frames side by side when you have a twin Sash window design, don’t try and fit shutters across wide mullions, this will cause shadows through the louvre blades. Unlike blinds, with shutters you can ensure each part of the shutter matches the design and layout of the window.
So if you live in London and you would like to fit shutters yourself or have them fitted for you, feel free to get in touch, request a survey or email us photos and sizes so we can provide some advice.